What is leadership?
Some people can be confused over the term ‘leadership’. Often, it is seen as a term used to refer to individuals that lead a large team. However, there is a better definition of leadership. This is an individual who takes ownership of their own work. Outside of the workplace, leadership exists in other places. E.g. managing family life. Correspondingly, research has suggested a number of qualities that create successful leaders. These include:
Furthermore, a number of qualities have been associated with the most transformational leaders. E.g.:
What techniques can be used to improve your leadership skills?
- Share your vision: Make sure to share your goals, mission & vision with your team. Unquestionably, a leader creates a vision for colleagues to follow.
- Be aware of your strengths: You are likely to have in-depth knowledge of your area. This is as a result of working in the industry for several years.
- Be passionate: Great leaders are passionate about leading a team. Great leaders show deep enthusiasm for working on projects. Subsequently, ensure that you appreciate others hard work. Provide acknowledgement for it.
- Operate in line with your values & morals: Ensure that decisions you make align well with your morals & values. Unquestionably, this will allow you to become a more effective leader.
- Be a role model: Convey the qualities that you would like to see within your team. This provides a good role model for your team.
- Set goals & create plans to achieve them: It is important to set goals with realistic timelines. Create an action plan. List steps to get you where you want to be.
- Display a positive outlook: People are naturally attracted to positive people. Rarely do people respect or are drawn to negativity. Showing a positive attitude demonstrates a positive role model.
- Develop better communication skills: It is difficult to be a really good communicator. Resultingly, it is essential to refine your verbal, non-verbal & listening skills. This will allow you to communicate your intentions & expectations.
- Help others become great: Great leaders see others compassionately & with potential. Effective leaders often have experienced encouragement themselves.
- Learn from past failure & weakness: It is normal to make mistakes in life. Successful people do not attempt to avoid failure. Instead, they learn from previous mistakes.
- Commit to self-improvement: Learning throughout life is continual. Never be complacent in thinking you know everything.
Many people assume that leadership is leading a group of people. Instead, a better definition is that of managing your own workload. We have summarised a number of techniques to improve leadership qualities within people. Research has shown that there are a number of specific qualities that make a great leader. However, leadership qualities can be instilled in anyone. This is regardless of what industry they work in. Or their position within a company.
Would you like to become a more effective leader in a business?
Contact Angelina Bell today. Find out more about how she can develop your staff to become better leaders.